Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Tree Party for Two

There is nothing like a Christmas tree that puts you in that holiday spirit. I'm a "fresh cut Christmas tree" kinda girl. I have always had a fresh tree in my house ever since I was small. It brought me such joy to decorate the tree. I took much pride in doing it. It was a meticulous process. I didn't even mind untangling all the lights and playing "engineer" when one light wasn't working. It was like a puzzle and I LOVE puzzles. Once the tree went up, I was set for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately, this year we didn't get a fresh tree. I'm wondering if that is why it has been harder this year for me to get into the Christmas spirit. I tried and tried to come to terms with the fact that it wasn't going to happen this year and just put my big girl panties on and move on. However, that was easier said than done. As brown shipping boxes started to appear in my living room from family around the country, it was getting harder and harder to not have a tree. I even tried to get an artificial tree, but I was shocked to see how expensive they were. Couldn't justify paying $80 for an artificial (that's after 50% off) when I could get a real one for $20. So I did what most mothers do.... lived my dreams through my kids. I started a new tradition.

I called upon my elves and we went on a hunt for two small trees. After driving around all day to a long list of stores, my final stop, my saving grace, was good 'ole Target. I got a two pack of 42" pre-lit trees for $20!!!! That's $10 a tree for each kid! For a tree that is about as tall as the smallest elf! Just can't beat that. I had them pick out their own ornaments that they wanted to decorate with and let them decorate however they wanted. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I had to continually tell myself, "Let the kids be kids and decorate like kids." They did a fantastic job.

First artificial tree box I have ever opened.
{Little elf is in the background too excited for words}


Both elves "opening" up the tree
{Yes, mommy wound up doing this task}

Elves exercising their artistic abilities


Big elf wrapping beaded decor around tree

Little elf was frustrated with his beaded decor and delegated task to mommy so he could play photographer

Big elf hard at work


Little elf hanging his ornaments

Big elf and his tree.
{I love you too handsome man}


Little elf and his tree

Beautiful trees

It does feel a bit more like Christmas now. The boys had such a great time with their trees. They did a wonderful job. A new tradition has begun. Now to get their presents wrapped and put "between the trees". I definitely need to get the stockings hung up by the chimney with care. Since the elves hope that St. Nick will soon be there. Goodnight y'all.

PS. Has anyone noticed that the older your kids get, the more broke they make St. Nick? Just sayin'....







1 comment: